Friday, July 3, 2009

Saying good-bye...




Last Saturday, June 27, the angels above must have rejoiced, for they gained a soul that we all wanted for ourselves, but were not able to hold to forever. Our very dear Grandpa S. (Bear Cub's GREAT-Grandpa), passed away.  He was 88 years old.  I don't think the full sense of loss has hit me, and I doubt it really will until the next time we go to Indiana and he is not there.  

I truly loved him as my own grandpa.  When I first met him, back when I was only 19 years old, he treated me like one of his own.  He had a smile that could light a room and a twinkle in his beautiful blue eyes that was undeniable.  I can still hear him say my name and I love the fact that I will always have this memory with me.  He was kind, had a fun sense of humor, and had a memory that was incredible!  I loved to hear him tell stories from the past -- about his days in the Navy, working at the stock yards, and of his adventures from his youth.  He was a smart, smart man and had incredible people skills.  He commanded respect and I believe that anyone that would meet him would say the same thing.  I loved him so much.

I have to hope and believe that there is more to us than just this physical world and that we will indeed see our Grandpa once again.  I feel so fortunate that Bear Cub was able to spend time with his Great-Grandpa and I will forever tell him how much Grandpa loved him.  Grandpa would just watch Bear Cub and give a small smile and say, "He is a FINE boy."  

We are all blessed to have loved this special man and he will live on in our hearts and memories forever.  He will be missed and there will always be an ache for him.  But I do believe he is watching over us all now, smiling his sweet smile, and perhaps when the stars twinkle brightly at night, we will know that twinkle is coming from his eyes as he watches from above. 

I love you, Grandpa and will forever miss you.  Thank you for all of your love and support and for being such a wonderful father, grandfather, and great-grandfather.  You will live on because of what you taught us all and we will pass those lessons and stories on to future generations.   I can hear your voice now and all I can do is smile amidst my tears.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment