It's not real pretty, but it works!
Bear Cub is definitely ready. We made a Christmas countdown chain at around 10 days left. So each morning, he runs into the family room, points to our tree and says, "There's our bu-i-ful Trissmas tree!" and goes straight for the day's link to be removed. It's been a hit! I'd thought about buying a countdown "box" or Advent calendar, but if we can make our own for free, and it's just as entertaining, why bother?!? :)
He understands the concept of Santa and knows that he will leave him some toys and treats on Christmas morning. I will not lie...I've had to phone Santa a couple of times (in front of BC, of course) to see if the big guy in the North Pole was witnessing certain "undesirable" behavior. These phone calls have gotten Bear Cub's attention...and FAST...and he usually stops whatever naughtiness is going on. Believe it or not, he is not a complete angel at all times, despite his sweet looks.
We had a first this weekend...Bear Cub and I went to Sunday church! Daddy had to work, that is why he didn't go with us. This is actually one of my New Year's resolutions...to try to go on a regular basis, so I made my mind up on Saturday night that I was going to start before the New Year. So BC and I got all dressed, headed to the church where he hopefully will attend preschool next year, and got all settled in. I was SO proud of him as he was happy to go to the nursery room and even helped his teacher unstack the little chairs for the table. He kissed me good-bye...no tears or anxiety...and as I left, I saw him sitting patiently in his chair, waiting for the painting activity to begin...just like a big boy. I tell you what....I had to go into the bathroom after seeing him like that to keep my tears under control. I will be a real mess on the first day of preschool. I won't let him see, but wow, if I want to cry just dropping him off for an hour....
I really enjoyed the service and was surprised that I was truly interested in the sermon and was able to get the "daily life" meaning out of it. I guess I haven't really been to church much as adult...so all I remember beyond Sunday School was sitting next to my own Mama Bear, searching her purse for a pen and a deposit ticket from her checkbook so I could doodle. So from that, you know it's been a long time. Bear Cub was happy and smiling when I picked him up and I was given a good report from his teacher. BC was proud to show me his cross ornament that he painted in class and he told me about the TWO cookies that he got to eat. Funny thing...the teacher said that as soon as the paint came out, he automatically started painting his hands. Oops! Didn't I blog that future teachers would get me for my hand print painting antics at home?!!? I KNEW he'd do that!! :) It was a great day and really made me happy. It's definitely something I want to continue.
So, we are anxiously awaiting Santa's arrival and spending time with our families. My mom will be with us for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning and we'll be with the other side for the afternoon and Christmas night.
In the midst of all the wrappings, deal huntings, and shopping frenzies, it really is important to reflect on the fact that this is a holiday not about stuff, but about the people that we love. I am truly grateful for my family and friends and all the goodness in my life. It's something I need to remember ALL year long, and not just at the holidays.
Have a wonderful day and happy counting down to you all!
I am ready too!!
ReplyDeleteYea!!!!! Three more days! I'm looking forward to my visit especially Christmas morning when bc comes out and sees what Santa has brought him. The most fun... I declare!!! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Merry Christmas to all of you and please give your mom a big hug for me. Please post pictures from Christmas for us to see!
ReplyDeleteHi! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!!!
ReplyDelete