I've been doing a lot of reflecting on the matter of time lately. I'm not sure if I'm doing this because my 30th birthday is quickly approaching, or if it's because I'm seeing how quickly the days go by and how fast our little Bear Cub is growing up. I think it's a combination of both.
Starting with the 30th birthday "thing" -- I can't believe it! I honestly can not believe that my 20s are coming to an end. Inside, I still feel like I'm 17. I know I have grown up since then, but the "core" of me is the same. I'm the same person I was when I was five or two, or even as a newborn. It's just that now I'm in a different body, with a better-educated mind, and with a few more life lessons tied under my belt. But all in all, the person that was me then, is still the person I am today. The strange thing is that one day, when I'm 80, I'll probably still feel the same. And forever I'll wonder, "Where have the years gone?"
It's not that I'm afraid to be turning 30 or that I have any regrets. Not at all! It's just strange to think that another decade has gone by. Of course, a lot happened while I was in my 20s. I graduated college (twice!), got married, moved 4 times, started my career, and became a mother. That's a fairly full decade, if I do say so. What will my 30s be like? By the time this next decade of mine passes by, my son will be almost 12. HOW CAN THAT BE? Again, the whole time thing...
So thinking about Bear Cub being 12 one day as I approach 40... Already he has grown so much and I am so very proud of all his accomplishments. He truly is a little boy now...not a baby. He is independent, can communicate (some, anyway) his wants and needs, and is developing his own personality each and every day. He wants to sit on the potty, he can't fit into his "little" clothes anymore, and we'll be giving up his nightly bottle here soon. I don't want to be the mother that hangs on to her child's coattails, begging him not to go on to the next stage of life, but it is difficult to let go of these "baby" stages. I warn him on a regular basis that no matter how big he grows, he will ALWAYS be his Mama's baby. He just doesn't have a choice in the matter. :)
Well, that's all I really have to say about that. I am thankful for time because it does show me what a wonderful life I lead and allows me to be grateful for everything that I enjoy and love. The little lines around my eyes are from smiling, so I try to be thankful for each one, as they show that I have smiled a lot in life. The gray hairs that appear on my head depict the challenges that I've had in life and all the things I've learned from those stresses and hardships. For all of this, I must be thankful. Time marches on...
So, to end this reflective post, I thought I'd share some interesting quotes that I found regarding that mysterious thing called time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clocks slay time... time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life. ~William Faulkner
Time is what prevents everything from happening at once. ~John Archibald Wheeler
The clock talked loud. I threw it away, it scared me what it talked. ~Tillie Olsen, Tell Me a Riddle
Old Time, that greatest and longest established spinner of all!.... his factory is a secret place, his work is noiseless, and his hands are mutes. ~Charles Dickens
There is one kind of robber whom the law does not strike at, and who steals what is most precious to men: time. ~Napoleon I, Maxims, 1815
But what minutes! Count them by sensation, and not by calendars, and each moment is a day. ~Benjamin Disraeli
And this one I feel especially akin to, as it reminds me of waiting to bring Bear Cub home from Russia...
Time is the longest distance between two places. ~Tennessee Williams
Amen to that one. :) Have a wonderful day!
No comments:
Post a Comment