Zoe...relaxing and cooling off in the water table!
BC and Zoe... he had to climb in, just like her!
The intense look of a young man devouring his SECOND bowl of mac-n-cheese...he was hungry!
More mac-n-cheese action (and yes, he was eating with his spoon!) and check out that hair...gorgeous!
The only dentist shot I got...you can see his vehicles with him...of course! :) He and the dentist did have a rousing conversation about Matchbox vs. Hotwheels. So, the cars were a good ice-breaker for BC! :)
Ok, so we haven't been totally house bound this week. Bear Cub had his first dentist appointment yesterday! His pediatrician told me that at 3 years old, it was time to go in for the first check-up. I was DREADING this, but finally made the call and was told they could take him the next morning! I had a big internal debate with myself... Do I give him a week so we can really talk it up? Maybe check out some library books on going to the dentist? Or do I just hype it up BIG today and we go tomorrow? I ended up going with the "tomorrow" option and am glad I did. We talked some about going to the "kid" dentist and of course, there was a bit of bribery involved. Why wouldn't there be? Actually, I had asked the office on the phone what type of incentive they used with the kids, so I told BC all about the gold coin he could earn to go to their "Treasure Tower" with. He liked the sounds of that! The morning of his appointment, the first thing he said to me was, "I want to go to the kids' dentist!" Ok! And off we went.
I also showed him a dollar bill and folded it up in his pocket during the appointment. So he knew the whole time that if he let the dentist check AND clean his teeth, we would go to Target for him to choose one of the beloved Matchbox cars. It worked! Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't a perfect appointment, but it sure went better than I had ever dreamed of!
The exam was done with him sitting on my lap. Ok...that wasn't TOO bad. But then came the part where the little mirror thing had to go back into his mouth more and he got a bit squirmy then. But again, no crying, no out of control fits, just him trying to escape from this very new and strange thing that was happening to him! Right away, the dentist said, "Wow! You're doing a GREAT job cleaning his teeth!" Well, a-hem...thank you very much! :) Of course, that was just him looking at his FRONT teeth, but as he worked his way back, he discovered some areas that need a little extra attention. Those dreaded areas that are just SO hard for me to get to without completely pinning my poor boy down to brush! But, with a little practice, we'll get better. He had no major decay or cavities and yes, his teeth even got cleaned by the hygienist! Still, all done in my lap, but hey, for a first visit, I'd say it was VERY successful and not the least bit traumatizing...for any of us! He did get to go to Target and was very happy to pay the cashier (all by himself!) with his dollar. Too cute. I was very proud of my big boy!
We've continued with our daily walks and as always, we play outside with Zoe and fill up the sand table with water for the "kids" to swim. Zoe is so funny! Last night, she and BC were running and playing upstairs. I swear, both of them were sweating! (Have you ever seen a dog sweat? Hmmmm....well, she looked like she was!) And all of a sudden, BC disappeared, laughing the whole time, into our bath tub and Zoe was gone. Where did SHE go? She headed for the OTHER tub, I'm sure looking for some nice, cool water to soak in, but to both of their disappointment, both tubs were empty. What a pair.
Today we had our friends come to the house to play, which was really nice. With Daddy traveling so much, I get a little lonesome for some grown-up talk, so my friend and I had a nice visit while our boys played with CARS (of course). This was our first official play date at our new house! I'd say it was a success...and it made me appreciate our nice playroom upstairs all the more. What a great space!
Something random and funny that BC said the other day:
While standing up on Zoe's food container in the pantry, he calls out: "I want a snack! (as he snoops around) I am interested in candy right now!"
This coming from the boy who was NEVER interested in sweets. He now tells me daily that he's "into candy" as likes to say. How did this happen? I believe it all goes back to October 31, 2008...and that one particular SWEET holiday. Oh boy. Now I REALLY have to get in the back of that mouth to clean those teeth! ;)
(My pics for today's post are not that great...but enjoy anyway!) Have a great end of your week!
Love the pic of the kids in the water table together!
ReplyDeleteGreat job at the dentist BC!! :)
ReplyDelete